For Prospective Students
The department typically admits 10 to 12 new students each year, and typically has a total of 50 to 55 students. We invite applications to our PhD program from all qualified applicants, and we foster a welcoming and collaborative environment. The Department would like to encourage students from diverse backgrounds (for example, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities) to apply. For these students, fee waivers can be requested and will be considered on a case-by-case basis. We kindly ask that you provide the reason for which you are requesting a fee waiver when you email us. This will allow us to assess your request and provide a decision to you in the most timely manner possible — please send all requests to the Graduate Coordinator, Tori Spalding (email@example.com).
Initial admissions decisions are usually made in mid-February, but we frequently admit additional students as the process proceeds. Students in good standing are guaranteed support for 5 years, and some students receive support for a 6th year. The average time required for a student to finish a PhD is 5.4 years.
- Application Information
- Program Interest Form
- Normal Progress
- Basic Courses
- Recently Taught Courses, Including Topics Courses
- Geometry & Topology RTG (Research Training Grant)
- Doctorates Awarded (Graduate Alumni)
Congratulations to our Graduates in their new positions!
- Leo Jimenez - GeoMod Postdoc in Lyon, France
- Jens Kjaer has accepted a Postdoctoral position with the "Operads, Calculus, and Homotopy theory methods in Topology" (OCHoTop) project. (École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) and Université de Lille (ULille)).
- Yichao Li - Peking University (Beijing, China), Postdoctoral position
- Whitney Liske has accepted an Assistant Professor position at St. Vincent College in Latrobe, PA
- Adam Moreno has accepted the "E.R. Hedrick Assistant Professor" position (Postdoctoral) at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).
- Laura Murray - Providence College, Assistant Professor
- José Pastrana Chiclana - Northwestern University, Instructional Postdoctoral Fellow
- Mike Perlman - Queen's University (ON, Canada [Academic Year 20/21]) - Coleman Postdoctoral Fellow at Queen’s University University of Minnesota (Fall 2021)- Dunham Jackson Assistant Professor
- J.D. Quigley has accepted the "H.C. Wang Assistant Professor" position (Postdoctoral) at Cornell University.
- Fanghci Yan has accepted a Postdoctoral Research Associate position at West Virginia University
Cunlu Zhou has accepted a Postdoc position at the University of Toronto