For Honorarium and/or Incidental Expense Reimbursements*
- U.S. citizen: Reimbursement of expenses and honorarium are permitted. Social Security Number required.
- Alien Resident card holder: Reimbursement of expenses and honorarium are permitted. Copy of Resident Card and Social Security Number required.
- J-1 visa sponsored by another employer: Reimbursement of expenses are permitted. Honorarium payments are permitted. Original letter of authorization from their sponsoring employer verifying that their visit to Notre Dame and the reimbursement of their expenses are approved. Copies of their Passport photo page, J1 visa with date stamp, I-94 card and DS-2019 (formerly IAP-66) form are required.
- J-1 visa sponsored by Notre Dame: Reimbursement of expenses are permitted. Preplanned honorarium payments are permitted. These are prepared for visitors who are staying at Notre Dame for more than 14 days. Department must prepare appropriate appointment paperwork and contact General Counsel’s Office to obtain a DS-2019 so that they can receive an I-94 card upon entering into the US. After arriving at Notre Dame a copy of their Passport, J1 visa with date stamp, I-94 card and the DS-2019 form are required. Please allow ample time for appointment and visa paperwork to be generated.
- H-1 sponsored by another employer: Reimbursement of expenses are permitted. Honorarium payments are NOT permitted. After arriving at Notre Dame, a copy of their Passport, H1-B visa, I-94 card (indicating H-1B status) and H-1B approval notice (I-797B) are required.
- B-1, B-2, W-B, or W-T status: There are two criteria that they must meet for reimbursement; (1) the visitor is engaged in the activity being compensated for any portion of nine days or less, and (2) the visitor has not been paid or reimbursed by more than five other U.S. institutions or organizations during the past six months. If these two criteria are met then they can be reimbursed expenses and/or given an honorarium. Copies of their passport, visa with date stamp and I-94 card, along with the completed "Compliance Statement for Payments to Visitors in Business or Tourist Status" form and tax treaty form (if applicable) are required.
- W-B or W-T Waiver program countries are: Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom.
- F1 Visa: Reimbursement of expenses are permitted. Honorarium payments are NOT permitted. The student should arrange to have his/her own university pay for the hotel and expenses, and Notre Dame will reimburse their university. A copy of their Passport, F1 visa with date stamp, and I-20 are required.
- Canadian Visa: They need to obtain an I-94 card (presenting a copy of the Notre Dame invitation letter to immigration officials as support when requesting the I-94 card at the US port of entry will help) and request B-1 visa status when entering the US. A copy of their Canadian Passport along with their I-94 card with date stamp is required.
*The above requirements are subject to change without notice and are also just a limited amount of information for each category. More than likely your visitor will fall into one of these categories but there will be exceptions that will need the advise of the General Counsel’s Office. Please make sure you know what status your visitor is entering on prior to their visit so there aren’t any reimbursement surprises.